Based in Utrecht, The Netherlands
Book I & II: February 2017
Herald is a choice-driven adventure game set during an alternate 19th century in which the West is united as a colonial superpower: the Protectorate. Help tell the story of Devan Rensburg, a man of mixed heritage who became steward on board of the HLV Herald, a merchant ship set for his country of birth. As Devan it is your job to keep the peace among the crew and passengers by resolving their daily squabbles. Set during a time of widespread inequality and injustice, you are challenged to uncover a great mystery that surrounds the Herald's perilous voyage. Herald: Book I and II were released on 22-2-2017 for Steam, GOG and the Humble Store. Book III and IV are already in pre-production and are scheduled to release at a later date.
Wispfire is an indie game company based in The Netherlands. We create story-driven games with a passion for historical events and cultural diversity. With Herald we aim to make an interactive drama that lets players choose a side in a conflict resulting from colonialism. For this project we spent a great amount of time researching the historic 19th century to create a believable, alternate history.
- A branching narrative that changes depending on how you decide to play. Do you choose to be bold and stand up for the downtrodden, or would pleasing the elite be the safer and smarter choice?
- Uncover all of the secrets aboard the merchant clipper Herald, as you explore its many nooks and crannies.
- The Herald is a microcosm of 19th century society. The crew and passengers all have their own dark secrets and often use sly coercion to convince Devan to help them. But who can you trust?
- Herald's diverse cast of characters is brought to life by beautifully animated portraits, and the performances of thirteen talented voice actors.
- Herald is set during an alternate 1857 in which the West has been united as a single global superpower: the Protectorate. Governed not by kings but by an elected 'Lord Protector’, the Protectorians believe they are morally superior. But are they?
- A gripping tale about finding your place in a world divided by race, class and culture.
Launch Trailer YouTube
Voice Actor Featurette YouTube
Character Teaser YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Indie Prize Showcase winner for "Best Narrative"." Casual Connect, Amsterdam, 6 February, 2015
- "Indie Prize Showcase nomination for "Best Art"." Casual Connect, Amsterdam, 6 February, 2015
- "Herald is novel-like in its sensibilities and in its literary quality. It's engaging, and it has something vital to say."
- Colin Campbell, Polygon
- "There are elements of Kurosawa’s Rashomon at work in this beautiful point-and-click episodic adventure."
- Matt Kamen and Andy Robertson, The Guardian
- "Herald reminds us that—no matter where you say you're from—we're all part of a larger story that's much more complicated."
- Jess Joho, Killscreen
- "Herald looks gorgeous. Vaguely set “in the 19th century”, it captures mood with breadth rather than striving for particularities, and ultimately it is better for doing so."
- Mark Filipowich, Popmatters
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
We're an indie game company with a focus on making story-driven games and have a passion for historical events and cultural diversity.
More information on Wispfire, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Herald: An Interactive Period Drama Credits
Roy van der Schilden
Aïda de Ridder
Marketing and Assistant Narrative Design
Assistant Writing and Editing
Assistant UK Editor
Lead 3D Animator
And all interns who joined our team during production!